Pool Manager/Assistant Manager
College aged individual or older who has had previous Lifeguard experience. Additionally, the individual must exhibit good managerial qualities, either through previous Somerset Hills employment or via substantiating letters from previous employers. Red Cross Lifeguard certification is required. Certification must be effective by pool opening and must remain valid through Labor day.
Red Cross Certified Lifeguard in good standing (certification must be completed by pool opening and remain valid through Labor Day). Senior Guards have a minimum of 2 years experience. The position reports to the Pool Manager. Lifeguards also perform other duties, which include but are not limited to, pool entrance gatekeeper, and general pool and grounds maintenance. May be assigned other duties as necessary.
Providing coverage as needed.
Swim Instructor needed for Swim Lesson Program. Candidates must possess the Water Safety Instruction (WSI) certification. Instructor must be able to demonstrate knowledge of basic water safety and correct stroke technique for all four basic strokes. The position reports to the Swim Lesson Coordinator. Swim Instructors work approximately 1.5 hours per day for 4-6 weeks, on an as-needed basis.
Swim Team Positions
College individual or older who is swimming or has swam competitively. The individual must have prior coaching experience and have excellent communication skills. The head Coach is responsible to attend all swim practices and meets, and make up all workouts and meet lineups.
- Must be available for employment approximately mid May 2017 to end of July 2017
- Must be Lifeguard Certified.
- Must be available for dual swim meets running Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings throughout the months of June and July (approximately 8 meets)
- Must be available for invitational meets including (but not limited to) Roycefield Sprints, Minnow Meet, League Championships and Conference Championships. Invitational meets typically occur during the weekends mid through end of July, with conference championships occurring mid-week during the last week of July
- Must have demonstrated leadership qualities and the ability to work with age groups ranging from 5 to 19 years old (i.e. prior experience as coach, swim instructor, camp counselor, teacher, etc.).
- Must have demonstrated ability to instruct the four basic swim strokes, flip turns, and dives all at a competitive level.
- Effective communication skills; must be able to communicate with swimmer’s parents when required
Somerset Hills Hiring Policy
Hiring for the Somerset Hills Swim Club and the Blue Dolphins Swim Team is performed by two separate committees. These committees interview candidates as appropriate and make recommendations to the Board of Directors of the Club. These committees take into account the previous year’s reviews and interim experience gains.
Employment will be offered first to existing employees with good ratings from the previous season, followed by pool members in good standing and children of past pool members, and finally non-Somerset Hills candidates. Special consideration will be given to Lifeguards that can work through Labor Day.
Due to the nature of the Head and Assistant Coach positions, the assignment may be filled by the most qualified candidate, Somerset Hills or non-Somerset Hills. Current-year salaries will be reviewed at the April board meeting. Wage ranges and criteria for each position will be available to all pool members upon request. Salaries and expectations for each position will be included in all job offers. Applicants will be notified in April if they are or are not being offered a position for the upcoming season.